Trailnet Classics: Group Starts
We believe that bikes are not just a great way to get around but an even greater tool to bring folks together and build community. These rides support our work to advocate for safer streets for everyone and allow us to better engage these host cities and neighborhoods with our work.
Our overarching goal is to improve the safety and the community-building aspects of these rides without changing the core of these events: high-quality supported bike rides that build an appreciation and awareness for cycling.
We will have two group starts. Riders can choose to depart in either a 7:30 or 8:30 A.M group start.
At both starts we will encourage riders to be mindful of their own ability and comfort level when positioning themselves in the staging area. Group start etiquette and safety will also be covered in the rider briefing.
We may make additional changes based on potential severe weather conditions, with appropriate notification time before the rides.
We are still committed to the benefits a group start offers:
- Each start will have a police escort for the beginning section (10-12 mph. for approx. 1 mile) of each ride, to increase visibility and safety. People will be able to set their own pace after the escort has lead riders safely onto the course.
- A rider briefing on the route and road conditions will allow more-consistent communications.
- The set start time will also improve the responsiveness of SAG and first aid support by having a clearer understanding of riders’ positions along each route.
- The group start times shorten the volunteer shifts we ask including registration, rest stops, driving SAG vehicles, and managing traffic.
- The set start times will help create a greater sense of community between riders of all experience levels. It allows more people to connect and socialize over coffee before the ride.
- The group start addresses the concerns of people who feel safer riding in groups.
We are confident these benefits as well as day-of safety measures will give our riders a safe, high-quality ride experience.