Join our team: Membership Coordinator
Trailnet is seeking a qualified candidate to join our team as the Membership Coordinator. The Membership Coordinator will lead by example promoting membership, providing excellent customer service, and stewarding members into longtime donors.
The ideal candidate will have a philanthropic mindset, enthusiastically seeking opportunities to connect people to our mission. They should find joy in meeting and working with people from diverse backgrounds with a shared vision of a safer region for walking, biking and using public transit.
The Membership Coordinator reports to the Development Director and works in collaboration with fundraising, marketing, planning, finance, rides, and program staff.
About the Organization:
Trailnet is a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization with a 33-year history of making walking and biking a way of life in the St. Louis region. We believe everyone should have access to safe, comfortable walking and biking connections where we live, work, and play in our communities. Trailnet works within the St. Louis region and across the state to respond to the demand for improved walking and biking networks that attract and retain talent, strengthen our economy, and connect people to the places they love. We are leading the way by developing policy and on-the-ground solutions to help people of all ages and abilities reach community and cultural destinations by walking, biking, or taking transit.
Our team includes community planners, advocates, educators, bicyclists, transit users, and staunch supporters of local business. We advocate for spaces that are designed to encourage people to walk, bike, and take public transit. We believe that creating communities begins with understanding and appreciating the unique differences of all who live and work there. We embrace diversity and want to move our region forward with safe, equitable ways to get around that improve everyone’s quality of life.
Overview of the Position
Membership and Solicitation Programs:
- Serves as the first point of contact for members and prospective members, and makes excellent customer service a priority
- Executes routine and special initiative programs to acquire, retain and upgrade members to achieve financial and administrative goals
- Works closely with the Director of Development to coordinate at least two annual membership drives and two online appeals including overseeing large scale-mail piece design, coordinating with a mail house, list exchanges, etc.
- Implements membership renewal process with timely donor reminder letters and outreach to lapsed donors
- Produces direct mail, personalized correspondence and online giving documents
- Produces accurate and complete membership rosters in adaptive and intuitive formats
- Monitors, analyzes and proactively reports on membership results using trends in member type, average giving, member total, total giving, and suggests corrective strategies
- Maintains supplies and stationery for all membership correspondence and fulfillment
- Supports annual member t-shirt ordering
Gift Processing and Tracking:
- Provides excellent donor stewardship by quickly and accurately receiving, tracking, and acknowledging all gifts
- Adheres to and updates gift processing policies and procedures
- Creates and maintains transparent and easy-to-navigate paper and electronic files
- Works with the Development Director to create insightful and accurate reports to the CEO, Development Committee and Board
Donor Database and List Management:
- Maintains the donor database to ensure its highest possible function
- Routinely updates donor records with information from a variety of sources
- Provides timely, high-quality data output for a variety of requests and purposes
- Updates data entry and management procedures
- Works with Rides Director and ride registration program to ensure ride registration supports membership recruitment and provides an excellent experience for members
- Assemble targeted mail and email lists and share with partners as needed
Development and Fund-Raising Activities:
- Supports Development Director for annual Gala and donor recognition events
- Serves as a resource for volunteer recruiting and registration; collects and tracks volunteer hours in the donor database
- Provides energetic, donor-focused support at fundraising and member events
- Determines Trailnet’s involvement at community and corporate wellness fairs, and coordinates staffing for those events, working the events as needed
- Strategically promotes Trailnet’s brand and membership in all aspects of work
- Co-chairs annual volunteer and member recognition events with Rides Director
Finance and Administration:
- Serve as back-up to Office Manager for phones and bank deposits
- Works closely with the Finance Manager to ensure an accurate interface between Development and Finance
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, relevant field (Marketing, Communications, Business, Administrative Studies, Human Resources, Fundraising/Philanthropy, or other Social Sciences) preferred
- One year of experience working in an office setting, preferably in a non-profit organization in fundraising or communications
- Experience and knowledge of donor database systems preferred (Trailnet uses DonorPerfect and will provide training specific to its use)
- Computer literate with the ability to effectively use technology (Google workplace, Microsoft Office, printer-copier, postage meter)
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated—able to work alone, and as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a strong sense of prioritization
- Strong customer service orientation with the desire to interact with a diverse community of staff, partners, participants, and volunteers
- Able to work weekends and some evenings throughout the year supporting Trailnet events and outreach: 10-12 outdoor events in the bistate region, including distance bike rides and community rides throughout Spring, Summer, and Fall.
- Transport up to 25 lbs. of tabling or outreach materials to events
- Work at a computer
- Staff tables at outreach events
- Make phone calls
As of January 2022, the majority of our staff is in a remote-work environment, with limited time in the office. All employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Salary range is $33,000- $40,000.
Eligible for full-time benefits including Medical and Dental Insurance
Competitive benefits package, salary commensurate with experience, flexible hours, casual work environment, office located in downtown St. Louis, a short walk from MetroLink. A company car is available for some business-related local and regional travel. Free membership to the Downtown Bike Station.
Commitment to Equity and Equal Opportunity
Trailnet is committed to supporting diversity and equal opportunity in its services, administration, and employment, as well as research and activities. We strive to foster a working environment that values contributions from team members including those based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, culture, sexual orientation, sexual identity, mental disabilities, physical disabilities, or veteran status. We work with a wide range of external partners and stakeholders, and we seek candidates that are committed to their own cultural competency. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applicants are encouraged to apply by February 27, 2022. The position will remain open until filled.