What are the basic bicycle rules I should teach my child?
The most basic bicycle rules you should be teaching your child include:
- always wear a helmet while riding a bike
- follow the same traffic rules as a car, such as stopping at stop signs and signaling prior to making turns – even if riding on a sidewalk
- ride in the same direction as traffic, NOT facing traffic
- never make sudden moves while riding in the street; cars need to be able to predict a rider’s actions
- bicycles must always yield to pedestrians, even on a sidewalk