For nearly thirty years, Trailnet has brought together friends, organizations and people from many communities to create positive change in the St. Louis bi-state region. Trailnet works to improve the quality of life for our families, neighbors, and communities. Our work and our partnerships directly impact local citizens, schools, businesses, communities, and nonprofit agencies throughout our region.
To further our mission, Trailnet announced an ambitious vision in November 2016: to connect our region through a network of safe, protected on-street bikeways and sidewalks that link people to the places they want to be. We believe that high-quality, protected on-street bikeways and sidewalks will spark economic development, improve health and wellness, create social equity and access, and connect communities.
The development of this biking and walking network will exemplify Trailnet’s core values:
- Equity: We champion walking and biking as readily accessible and affordable ways to get around which can be viable transportation choices for people in all communities, of all ages, abilities, races, genders, and income levels.
- Sustainability: We increase opportunities for walking and biking, which has a positive effect on the environment, public health, and the economy. We organize, promote and model environmentally-friendly practices and behaviors.
- Collaboration: We build partnerships to achieve our mission. We identify and convene cross-sector organizations to galvanize progressive ideas and resources.
- Power of Place: We advance walking and biking improvements not as an end in themselves, but as changes that energize and animate neighborhoods by transforming streets into places that
- inspire pride and stewardship
- encourage social cohesion and engagement
- reflect our region’s culture and history
- nurture local talent and leadership
- contribute to community resiliency
- act as engines for economic prosperity.
- Leadership: We embrace a leadership role in generating strategies and implementing best practices to accomplish our mission while engaging communities and giving them a voice for change. We set high standards for ourselves and our programs, deliver on our promises, and measure outcomes as a means for continuous improvement.